These zucchini pizza boats are the perfect light, healthy meal, and they only require 6 ingredients to make!
It’s hard sometimes to come up with recipes that don’t include heavy grains, so I love recipes like this where you can substitute a vegetable for bread or pasta. (I also love making recipes with heirloom tomatoes this time of year… so many beautiful fall colors! )
For best results, make sure to salt the zucchini prior to roasting, and blot the excess moisture. Salt helps bring the liquid out of the zucchini so it doesn’t end up mushy after you cook it.
I tend to use spinach leaves instead of basil because I prefer the taste, but you can use either.
|Zucchini Pizza Boats|| |
- 2 medium-sized zucchini
- ½ cup marinara sauce
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese or non-dairy mozzarella
- 2 tbsp red onion, sliced
- 8 cherry tomatoes or mini heirloom tomatoes, sliced
- 2 tbsp basil or spinach leaves, chopped
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Chop off ends of zucchini, then cut in half lengthwise.
- Scoop out the middle section and seeds with a spoon.
- Lightly salt each zucchini and set aside for 5 minutes. Blot with power towel to remove excess moisture.
- Spread a layer of sauce inside each zucchini.
- Top with shredded cheese, onions, and tomatoes.
- Bake for 20 minutes until zucchini is tender.
- Top with basil or spinach leaves.
- Season with sea salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately.
Leave A Comment