Sometimes, when I’m making a new recipe, it doesn’t always turn out the way I’d hoped.
Other times, it turns out even better.
This is one of those times.
I have to give credit to Minimalist Baker for inspiring this vegan Snickers ice cream bar recipe. I had to tweak it a bit and eliminate cashews from the ice cream (they tend to upset my stomach), but holy moly. It tastes so much like an actual Snickers ice cream bar. And it’s all natural, raw and vegan!
(And did you know you can make your own healthy vegan caramel with dates? I use dates for everything. They’re a great sugar substitute. Seriously. Give them a try.)
|Vegan Snickers Ice Cream Bar|| |
- For ice cream:
- 1 can coconut cream (about 1.5 cups)
- 1 can coconut milk (about 1.5 cups)
- 1 cup coconut palm sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- For chocolate:
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- ¼ cup coconut palm sugar
- 2 tsp coconut milk
- Dash of sea salt, to taste
- For topping:
- 3 tbsp unsalted peanuts
- 6 dates, pitted
- Start by preparing the ice cream. Stir coconut milk and coconut sugar in a pan over low heat until sugar has melted.
- Combine coconut milk, coconut cream, 1 cup coconut sugar and vanilla extract in a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth.
- Place in ice cream maker and churn until frozen. (If you don't have an ice cream maker, you can place in the freezer until frozen, stirring every 10 minutes.)
- Transfer ice cream to a parchment (or tin foil) lined square baking pan, distributing evenly. (Ice cream should be in a square shape.)
- Place in freezer.
- Next, prepare the homemade chocolate. Stir cocoa powder, coconut oil, ¼ cup coconut palm sugar, 1 tsp coconut milk and a dash of sea salt over low heat until sugar has melted. Set aside.
- Last, you want to prepare the date caramel. Boil the dates in hot water for 2-3 minutes until soft. (If you're on a raw food diet, soak them in water until soft.) Remove pits and combine in the blender until dates have a paste texture. (You can add 1-2 tsp of water if needed.)
- Remove ice cream from fridge once hardened and slice into 1 inch thick pieces vertically, then slice in the middle horizontally to make 8 bars.
- Layer slices with date caramel and peanuts until they're used up, then place back in freezer for 10 minutes.
- Remove bars from freezer and dip each bar in chocolate until completely coated. You can also choose to drizzle the chocolate onto the bars.
- Set bars back in freezer until completely firm.