Those of you who’ve read my other recipes may have noticed that I have a thing for sweet potatoes. I’ve made everything from cookies (sweet potato protein cookies) to tater tots (baked sweet potato tots), and now I’ve found a new favorite: sweet potato hash!
You can also make this hash with regular potatoes, but I almost always have sweet potatoes laying around since they tend to be more versatile in cooking. Sweet potatoes also contain less calories and carbs than regular potatoes, and over 400% of your daily vitamin A requirement!
I love to top the sweet potato hash with an over-easy egg for breakfast, so I encourage you to do so if you’re not on a vegan diet. It’s also great with a few splashes of hot sauce.
|Sweet Potato Hash|| |
- 2 sweet potatoes, diced
- ½ cup red bell pepper, diced
- ½ cup white onion, diced
- 1 cup spinach, chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato sauce
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- Pinch of rosemary, basil, red chili flakes, sea salt and pepper, to taste
- Optional toppings: fried egg, hot sauce
- In a large pot on medium heat, cook onions with olive oil for about 1-2 minutes until they begin to soften, then add balsamic vinegar to caramelize the onions and stir for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Add the red bell pepper and cook for about 2-3 minutes to soften the peppers.
- Add diced sweet potato and season with spices.
- Add ¾ cup of water and cover. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes until the sweet potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally. (Water will evaporate during cooking.)
- Add tomato sauce and salt and pepper, stirring until combined.
- Last, add spinach and cook until wilted.
- Top with your toppings of choice, and add additional seasonings as desired.
Leave A Comment