Have you ever had chocolate peanut butter Luna bars? Well now you can make your own rice crispy protein bars at home, with only 5 ingredients!
I recommend using brown rice crispies for a healthier version, but if that isn’t available to you, regular rice crispy cereal works just fine. Barbara’s and Nature’s Path make a whole grain brown crispy rice cereal that can be found at most grocery stores.
As quick and easy as it is to grab a bunch of protein bars at the store, I love making my own at home, since the cost tends to add up. This recipe makes 4 bars at a time.
Personally, I love the bars with just the peanut butter flavor, but if you want to add a homemade chocolate layer, you can stir 1 tbsp cocoa powder, 1 tbsp melted coconut oil, 1 tbsp pure maple syrup and 1 tbsp creamy peanut butter together until combined, then dip bars in chocolate and freeze for 10 minutes.
|Peanut Butter Rice Crispy Protein Bars|| || |
- 2 cups brown rice crispy cereal
- ¼ cup creamy peanut butter
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tbsp vanilla protein powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- In a large mixing bowl, stir peanut butter, sweetener and vanilla extract together until combined, then add cereal and protein powder and stir again until all rice crispies are coated.
- Line a baking sheet or plate with parchment paper and pour mixture onto the paper.
- Press down on mixture with a spoon, then mold the outer edges with the spoon so it makes a giant rectangle shape.
- Place in refrigerator for 30 minutes to harden.
- Once the mixture has hardened, remove from fridge and slice into four rectangles.
- Store in refrigerator.
Hi. Thanks for this recipe. I used it as a base for some nut free bars for my daughters school breakfast program. I used pumpkin seed butter (soooo much protein!) instead of peanut and threw in a couple of TB of cocoa and 4 TB hemp hearts. They are super yummy and have great protein. They are a bit hard to get really solid so I just cut them up a bit smaller.
Sorry, you mention to put it in fridge then it says take out of freezer? Also, there is no mention of sweetener in ingredients but it is in method.
Pure maple syrup is the sweetener.