Making your own hummus is so easy! All you need are chickpeas (garbanzo beans), olive oil, lemon juice, and a few spices.
Most hummus recipes include garlic cloves, but they tend to be very overpowering in flavor (even for someone like me who loves garlic.) So I prefer to use garlic powder along with a few dashes of sea salt. Feel free to adjust the seasonings to your liking. Most recipes also use tahini, but I’ve made it without the tahini and think it still tastes great, so I’ve added tahini as an optional ingredient.
I also like a dash of curry powder and cayenne pepper to my hummus for a little spice!
|Homemade Hummus|| |
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed (15 oz)
- 3 tbsp olive oil, plus 1 tsp for garnish
- 2 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
- ¼ cup water
- Sea salt and garlic powder, to taste
- Optional: 1 tablespoon tahini
- In a blender or food processor, puree the chickpeas with 3 tbsp olive oil, ¼ cup water, lemon juice, tahini (if using), sea salt and garlic powder until smooth.
- Add an additional 1-2 tbsp of water as necessary to achieve the desired consistency.
- Transfer to serving bowl and garnish with 1 tsp olive oil and additional seasoning as desired.
- Serve with your favorite pita chips or raw veggies!