I receive a lot of emails from readers requesting meal prep recipes that they can bring to work. I find this loaded egg burrito recipe to be one of the best on-the-go breakfast solutions. They’re quick to make, easy to wrap, and you can make a large quantity if you’re meal prepping for the week.
I love to add hot sauce and pico de gallo (Huevos Rancheros style), but of course, feel free to use ketchup or any other topping of choice.
If you’d like to add pico de gallo, here is my homemade pico de gallo recipe. All you need are diced tomato, onion, jalapeno, and cilantro or spinach leaves.
|Loaded Egg Burritos|| |
- 1 whole wheat tortilla or gluten-free tortilla
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup shredded potatoes or hash browns
- 1 tbsp white onion, diced
- 1 tbsp green bell pepper, diced
- 1 tbsp tomato, diced
- 2 tbsp part-skim shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tbsp spinach leaves, chopped
- 1 tsp olive oil, for grilling
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- Optional: pico de gallo or hot sauce, for topping
- Line a large skillet with 1 tsp olive oil over medium heat.
- Add sea salt, onions, bell peppers and potatoes and cook until potatoes are golden brown, about 15-20 minutes.
- Once potatoes are cooked, add eggs and spinach, stirring until eggs are cooked.
- Spread the egg mixture onto the tortillas, layer with cheese and pico de gallo (or sauce of choice), season with sea salt and pepper, then roll the burrito by folding the ends of the tortilla up.
- Place the burrito on the skillet seam side down and cook until golden brown, then flip and cook the remaining side.