One of the reasons I started this blog was because I wanted to turn your average everyday recipes into healthier versions. I do believe that we can continue to eat the things we love and stay healthy if we substitute the unhealthy ingredients for cleaner options.
For sweets, I tend to substitute sugar with dates. For sandwiches, such as this grilled veggie sandwich, I use sprouted grain bread, because sprouted grains are easier to digest than whole grains (because they haven’t been refined into flour), and they contain more vitamins and enzymes as well. But of course, those on a gluten-free diet are welcome to use gluten-free bread.
I love cheese, so I try to use goat cheese whenever I can because it’s lower in fat and dairy than cow’s milk (also easier to digest), but for those on a vegan diet,Tofutti dairy-free cream cheese is a great substitute.
|Grilled Veggie Sandwich|| |
- 2 slices sprouted grain bread or gluten-free bread
- ¼ cup crumbled goat cheese or Tofutti dairy-free cream cheese
- ¼ cup zucchini, diced
- 3 tbsp tomato, diced
- 2 tbsp white onion, diced
- 3 tbsp green bell pepper, diced
- ¼ cup spinach leaves
- 2 tsp olive oil
- Garlic powder, sea salt and pepper, to taste
- Line a large skillet with 1 tsp olive oil.
- Add diced zucchini, tomato, onion, bell pepper and spinach leaves.
- Saute for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until spinach is wilted and zucchini and onions are soft.
- Season with garlic powder, sea salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Add another tsp of olive oil to the skillet.
- Grill one side of each slice of bread for 2-3 minutes until brown and crisp.
- Spread a layer of cheese onto the cooked sides of the bread, then add the veggies.
- Close the sandwich and cook the uncooked side for 2 minutes, then flip and cook the other side for 2 minutes until the entire sandwich is crisp.
- Slice in half and serve immediately.