Ah, black beans. I have so many good things to say about them. They’re packed with protein… high in fiber… great for your digestive tract… I could go on and on.
For these black bean burritos, you can use any tortilla of your choice. My favorite tortillas for these are the wheat and corn flour tortillas from Trader Joe’s.
And of course, those on a vegan diet are welcome to swap the mozzarella cheese for a vegan cheese, or omit it altogether.
I love to top these with homemade pico de gallo and homemade guacamole, both which are very easy to make. For a healthy sour cream alternative, you can either use Greek yogurt mixed with sea salt, or Tofutti’s dairy-free sour cream.
|Black Bean Burrito|| |
- 1 whole wheat tortilla or gluten-free tortilla
- ½ cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp tomato, diced
- 2 tbsp zucchini, diced
- 2 tbsp corn
- 1 tbsp white onion, diced
- 1 tbsp green bell pepper, diced
- 2 tbsp cooked white or brown rice
- 2 tbsp cheese of choice (shredded light cheddar, part-skim mozzarella, or dairy-free mozzarella or cheddar)
- ¼ cup spinach leaves
- 1 tsp olive oil, for grilling
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tsp olive oil over medium heat.
- Add beans, onion, corn, zucchini, spinach, bell pepper and tomato and saute for about 5-7 minutes until beans and vegetables soften, then stir together with cooked rice.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheese down the center of the tortilla, layer with desired toppings (pico de gallo, salsa, guacamole,sour cream or hot sauce), then top with rice and bean mix.
- Season with sea salt and pepper.
- Roll the burrito by folding the ends of the tortilla up.
- Place the burrito on a skillet seam side down and cook over medium heat until golden brown, then flip and cook the remaining side until brown.