This veggie zucchini lasagna recipe is so good you won’t even miss the meat or the pasta! And it’s much healthier than regular lasagna because it’s pasta-free (lower carbs!), and includes fat-free ricotta cheese and part-skim mozzarella cheese. Great for vegetarians or those on a gluten-free diet.
I like to add fresh diced tomatoes to my sauce, but you’re also welcome to use canned diced tomatoes. To diced your own tomatoes, just steam them in a covered pot with 1 cup hot water for about 3 minutes until skin has split and a ring has formed around the top of the tomatoes, then peel skin, slice in half, discard seeds and chop into chunks.
I recommend using a mandoline slicer to slice the zucchini. It’s much easier to thinly slice than using a knife.
Those on a vegan diet can omit the egg in this recipe, and use Tofutti daiy-free ricotta and any brand of dairy-free mozzarella.
|Zucchini Lasagna|| |
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 2 zucchinis
- 3 tbsp white onion, diced
- 1 cup fat-free ricotta cheese
- 1 cup spinach leaves
- 1 egg
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- ½ tsp olive oil, for grilling
- Garlic powder, sea salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Heat ½ tsp olive oil in a skillet over low heat. Add diced onions and saute for 2-3 minutes until onions start to soften.
- Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, sea salt, pepper and garlic powder. Simmer on low heat for 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Set aside.
- Next, prepare the zucchini. Slice zucchini into thin slices using a mandoline slicer. Lightly salt and set aside for 5 minutes, then blot with power towel to remove moisture.
- Place on skillet and grill for 1 minute on each side, then blot again with paper towel.
- Last, stir ricotta cheese with egg in a medium bowl.
- Place a row of zucchini of the bottom of a square pan and layer with sauce, then layer with spinach leaves and ricotta cheese mixture.
- Repeat until ingredients are used up. Lasagna should have 2 rows of spinach & ricotta and 3 layers of zucchini & sauce.
- After third layer of zucchini and sauce, top with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- When lasagna is finished, drain water from bottom of pan.