This is the best idea ever! A new and improved version of your old childhood favorite… except with protein and fiber packed lentils!
I’ll admit, I struggle with dinner recipes. I love appetizers and snacks, but when it comes to concocting healthy dinner recipes, I have to be really stoked about it. Pizza and tacos are just about the only dishes where I can muster up a lot of enthusiasm.
Enter lentil sloppy Joes.
I just made these for the first time today. I was so psyched to try them, they turned out great. And now I’m posting this recipe, because I couldn’t wait to share this little piece of genius with all of you, in hopes you’ll be just as stoked as me.
If you’re unsure of where to purchase lentils, Trader Joe’s sells boxes of steamed lentils in the bagged vegetable section.
|Lentil Sloppy Joes|| |
- 1 cup cooked brown lentils
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp green bell pepper, diced
- 2 tbsp yellow onion, diced
- 1 tbsp mustard
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp coconut palm sugar
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 whole wheat buns
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Sea salt, pepper, garlic powder, and cinnamon, to taste
- Heat 1 tsp olive oil in a skillet over low heat.
- Add peppers and onions and saute for 5 minutes until soft.
- Increase to medium heat and stir in remaining ingredients.
- Season with spices and cook for 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Place bun in the toaster until crisp, then top with sloppy Joe filling.
- Serve immediately.