There’s a German restaurant up the street from my house that has the best sweet potato tots. I go there all the time just to order the tots, but for some reason it never occurred to me before to learn how to make my own. I thought it was going to be difficult, but I just whipped up my first batch today, and it was super easy! Surprisingly, you only need 4 ingredients and a few spices.
The restaurant serves them with a spicy aioli sauce, but personally I love a good homemade honey mustard dip with my sweet potatoes. Normally, homemade honey mustard requires a creamy sauce like Vegenaise, but since I didn’t have any in my kitchen today, I just used dijon mustard, honey, and a tiny bit of coconut oil, almond milk and flour. I have to say, it was really good!
I think I just discovered a new favorite homemade snack!
|Baked Sweet Potato Tots with Honey Mustard Dip|| |
- For sweet potato tots:
- 1 sweet potato, peeled
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup whole wheat breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup part-skim shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- Sea salt, pepper and garlic powder for seasoning
- Optional: Dash of cayenne pepper
- For honey mustard dip:
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp milk of choice
- 1 tsp flour
- Dash of sea salt, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Slice sweet potato into chunks.
- Place sweet potato chunks in a blender or food processor and blend until potato is finely chopped into small pieces.
- Heat 1 tsp coconut oil in a skillet over medium heat, then add the sweet potato pieces.
- Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until potato pieces are soft.
- Transfer sweet potato to a large bowl and stir together with the egg, breadcrumbs, cheese and seasonings until thoroughly combined.
- Roll the sweet potato mixture into small rectangular pieces with your hands. (Mixture should make about 10-12 large tots.)
- Evenly space the tots on a baking sheet and bake for about 5 minutes, then flip each tot and bake for an additional 5 minutes until each side is brown and crisp. (Be careful because the bottoms burn quickly.)
- For honey mustard dip: Mix all dip ingredients together in a small bowl and serve alongside tots.
Nutrition facts do not include honey mustard dip.