This apple cinnamon french toast recipe is quick and easy, completely clean, and made with the healthiest bread on the market: sprouted grain bread. (I use Ezekiel Food for Life cinnamon raisin bread for this recipe.)
I mention sprouted grain bread in a lot of my posts, because a) I LOVE bread, and b) I don’t want to feel bad about eating it. The good thing about sprouted grains is that they haven’t been refined into flour (which can cause your body to metabolize it like a sugar, which can cause your insulin to spike, which can make you gain weight). Sprouts are much more easily digested than flour, and they contain more vitamins and enzymes than whole grains.
And if you need more convincing, just check out the label. (Low glycemic! Flourless! Certified organic! Complete protein!)
Just make sure to keep sprouted grain bread in the freezer to preserve the shelf life. Since it contains enzymes, it can go bad quickly.
(I also whisk the eggs with water instead of milk – it makes them fluffier!)
|Apple Cinnamon French Toast|| |
- 2 slices sprouted grain cinnamon raisin bread
- 1 egg
- ½ apple, sliced
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- Dash of cinnamon, to taste
- Whisk 1 tbsp water with egg in a bowl.
- Soak both sides of bread in egg mixture.
- Transfer bread to a lightly greased pan and cook over medium heat until both sides are brown.
- Top with apples, cinnamon and syrup.
- Serve immediately.