A few things to know about this delicious spicy lentil chili recipe:
I use a bag of lentils that are already cooked. (Trader Joe’s has them in the refrigerated section next to the bags of lettuce.)
I steam, peel and chop my own tomatoes. (I try to avoid things that come in a can.)
You can use any bell pepper of your choice (I use red and green, and sometimes yellow too if I have it available.)
You’re welcome to substitute cayenne pepper if you don’t have chili powder.
This recipe is 100% vegan. My favorite vegans toppings are Tofutti non-dairy sour cream and vegan cheddar.
|Spicy Lentil Chili|| |
- 2 cups lentils
- 10 tomatoes (or 4 cups diced tomatoes)
- 2 tbsp white or yellow onion, diced
- 1 tbsp red bell pepper, diced
- 1 tbsp green bell pepper, diced
- 2 tbsp jalapeno, diced
- Chili powder, garlic powder, sea salt and pepper, to taste
- Optional toppings: vegan cheddar, scallions, green bell pepper, Tofutti non-dairy sour cream, Greek yogurt (if non-vegan)
- If using fresh tomatoes, pour 3 tablespoons water into pot over medium heat.
- Add tomatoes, cover pot, and steam for 3-5 minutes until skin has split and a ring has formed around the top of the tomatoes.
- Peel skin, remove seeds and discard.
- Dice tomatoes into chunks.
- Add tomatoes, lentils, onion, bell pepper and jalapenos to pot.
- Season with chili powder, garlic powder, sea salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. (Before you simmer the chili, there will be more liquid, giving it a soupy texture. After it has simmered, most of the liquid will have evaporated.)
- Remove chili from heat and top with desired toppings.
I also love to pair this soup with a burrito bowl salad!