Years ago, I stopped eating meat due to digestive issues, which is one of the reasons I started this blog… to create and share healthy, flavorful meat-free recipes! Over time, I discovered many great alternatives out there: black beans, chickpeas, lentils, marinated tofu, and even… cauliflower! After a while, it became a fun challenge to concoct creative recipes with unique ingredients.
I have to admit, there are a few things I miss, one of them being buffalo wings. I don’t think it was the chicken that I missed… more so the buffalo sauce, since I love spicy food.
I made buffalo cauliflower for the first time this week, and it was absolute heaven!
I used Earth Balance dairy-free butter (it was the only butter I had at the time), and it worked perfectly fine. If you’re on a vegan diet, any vegan butter will do. And you can pair it with a side of vegan bleu cheese or ranch dressing. (If not, regular butter and dressing works too.)
For the hot sauce, I used Frank’s Red Hot, and it was the perfect amount of spice. You can also use any flour of your choosing.
Also, make sure to eat it fresh out of the oven! I attempted leftovers the next day, but it becomes a bit soggy once refrigerated.
(For more information on plant based proteins including cauliflower, lentils and chickpeas, feel free to check out this great article: http://contractorquotes.us/high-protein-vegetables/)
|Spicy Buffalo Cauliflower Bites|| || |
- 1 head of cauliflower, chopped
- ½ cup whole wheat or gluten-free flour
- ½ cup hot sauce
- 1 tbsp butter or Earth Balance dairy-free butter, melted
- ½ cup water
- Sea salt and garlic powder, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Chop cauliflower head into 2-3 inch chunks.
- Mix flour, sea salt, garlic powder and water together in a large bowl.
- Toss cauliflower chunks in the flour mix, making sure all chunks are coated.
- Place cauliflower on a baking sheet and roast in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, melt the butter, then stir together with hot sauce.
- Remove cauliflower from oven and coat all pieces in hot sauce.
- Place cauliflower back in the oven and roast for an additional 20-25 minutes.
- Serve with a side of your favorite bleu cheese or ranch dressing.