Years ago, I stopped eating meat due to digestive issues, which is one of the reasons I started this blog… to create and share healthy, flavorful meat-free recipes! Over time, I discovered many great alternatives out there: black beans, chickpeas, lentils, marinated tofu, and even… cauliflower! After a while, it became a fun challenge to concoct creative recipes with unique ingredients.
I have to admit, there are a few things I miss, one of them being buffalo wings. I don’t think it was the chicken that I missed… more so the buffalo sauce, since I love spicy food.
I made buffalo cauliflower for the first time this week, and it was absolute heaven!
I used Earth Balance coconut butter (it was the only butter I had at the time), and it worked perfectly fine. If you’re on a vegan diet, any vegan butter will do. And you can pair it with a side of vegan bleu cheese or ranch dressing. (If not, regular butter and dressing works too.)
For the hot sauce, I used Frank’s Red Hot, and it was the perfect amount of spice. You can also use any flour of your choosing.
(Side note: make sure to eat it fresh out of the oven! I attempted leftovers the next day, but it becomes a bit soggy once refrigerated.)
|Spicy Buffalo Cauliflower Bites|| || |
- 1 large head of cauliflower, chopped
- ½ cup flour
- ½ cup hot sauce
- 1 tbsp Earth Balance butter, melted
- ½ cup water
- Sea salt and garlic powder, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Chop cauliflower head into 2-3 inch chunks.
- Mix flour, sea salt, garlic powder and water together in a large bowl.
- Toss cauliflower chunks in the mix, making sure all chunks are coated.
- Place cauliflower on a baking sheet and roast in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, melt the butter, then stir together with hot sauce.
- Remove cauliflower from oven and coat all pieces in hot sauce.
- Place cauliflower back in the oven and roast for an additional 20-25 minutes.
- Serve with a side of vegan bleu cheese or ranch dressing.