I just learned how to make my own homemade grenadine syrup. Which is a total game changer for cocktail mixing, because I love whipping up my own drinks from scratch.
I also love me a good Dirty Shirley (which, for those of you who are unfamiliar, is a Shirley Temple with a shot of vodka.) But instead of using syrupy store-bought 7up and grenadine, we’re going to make our own with fresh fruit!
For the 7up, all you need is a lemon, a lime and soda water (normally you could add a little agave, but the grenadine sweetens it up.) For the grenadine, you only need agave and pure pomegranate juice.
I also use cherry vodka for added flavor. Since vodka is sugar-free and soda water is calorie-free, it’s a great skinny cocktail.
|Skinny Dirty Shirley Cocktail|| |
- ½ cup soda water
- ¼ cup cherry flavored vodka
- 2 tbsp homemade grenadine syrup (1 tbsp pure pomegranate juice, 1 tbsp agave nectar)
- Splash of juice from one lemon and one lime
- 1 maraschino cherry, to garnish
- Fill a glass with ice.
- Add soda water, lemon juice and lime juice and stir.
- Add vodka and grenadine syrup and stir again.
- Garnish with a maraschino cherry.