Have you ever had chocolate peanut butter Luna bars? Well now you can make your own rice crispy protein bars at home, with only 5 ingredients!
I recommend using brown rice crispies for a healthier version, but if that isn’t available to you, regular rice crispy cereal works just fine. Barbara’s and Nature’s Path make a whole grain brown crispy rice cereal that can be found at most Whole Foods stores.
As quick and easy as it is to grab a bunch of protein bars at the grocery store, I love making my own at home, since the cost tends to add up. This recipe makes 4 bars at a time.
Personally, I love the bars with just the peanut butter flavor, but you also have the option to add a layer of homemade chocolate.
|Peanut Butter Rice Crispy Protein Bars|| |
- 2 cups crispy rice cereal
- ¼ cup unsalted peanut butter
- ¼ cup sticky sweetener (agave nectar or maple syrup)
- 2 tablespoons vanilla protein powder
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Sea salt, to taste
- For optional homemade chocolate layer:
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp sticky sweetener (agave nectar or maple syrup)
- In a large mixing bowl, stir peanut butter, sweetener and vanilla extract together until combined.
- Add cereal, protein powder and a dash of sea salt.
- Stir well until all rice crispies are coated.
- Place parchment paper on a flat surface (baking pan or large plate) and pour mixture onto the paper.
- Press down on mixture with a spoon, then mold the outer edges with a spoon so that it makes a giant rectangle shape. (This is easier to do with a spoon than with your hands because the mixture tends to stick to your hands.)
- Place in freezer for 30 minutes to harden.
- If adding a chocolate layer, melt coconut oil (either in a pot or in the microwave), then stir together with cocoa powder and sweetener until combined.
- Remove bars from freezer, spread chocolate sauce on top of bars, and freeze for an additional 10 minutes.
- Once the chocolate has hardened, remove bars from freezer again and slice them into small rectangles.
- Store in freezer.
Nutrition facts do not include optional chocolate layer.