Have you ever had chocolate peanut butter Luna bars? Well now you can make your own rice crispy protein bars at home, with only 5 ingredients!
I recommend using brown rice crispies for a healthier version, but if that isn’t available to you, regular rice crispy cereal works just fine. Barbara’s and Nature’s Path make a whole grain brown crispy rice cereal that can be found at most grocery stores.
As quick and easy as it is to grab a bunch of protein bars at the store, I love making my own at home, since the cost tends to add up. This recipe makes 4 bars at a time.
Personally, I love the bars with just the peanut butter flavor, but you also have the option to add a layer of homemade chocolate.
|Peanut Butter Rice Crispy Protein Bars|| |
- 2 cups rice crispy cereal
- ¼ cup creamy peanut butter
- ¼ cup liquid sweetener of choice
- 2 tbsp vanilla protein powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- In a large mixing bowl, stir peanut butter, sweetener and vanilla extract together until combined, then add cereal and protein powder and stir again until all rice crispies are coated.
- Line a baking sheet or plate with parchment paper and pour mixture onto the paper.
- Press down on mixture with a spoon, then mold the outer edges with the spoon so it makes a giant rectangle shape. (This is easier to do with a spoon because the mixture will stick to your hands.)
- Place in freezer for 30 minutes to harden.
- Once the mixture has hardened, remove from freezer and slice into four rectangles.
- If adding a chocolate layer, stir 1 tbsp cocoa powder, 1 tbsp melted coconut oil, 1 tbsp pure maple syrup and 1 tbsp creamy peanut butter together until combined, then dip bars in chocolate and freeze for 10 minutes.
- Store in freezer.
Nutrition facts do not include optional chocolate layer.