Okay, there’s a reason this baked potato soup is orange. It’s because I used vegetable broth, which turned this white creamy potato deliciousness to bright orange. But fear not, it still has the same yummy potato flavor.
If you’d rather a less orange version and aren’t on a vegan diet, you can use chicken broth. Or you can always use less veggie broth and more milk/water.
You can use any milk of your choosing (soy, almond or coconut) as well as any butter and cheese you choose. I used Earth Balance coconut butter and vegan cheddar, but part-skim mozzarella also works too.
You’re also welcome to play around with toppings… for those on a vegan diet, you can replace sour cream or Greek yogurt with a splash of coconut milk and a drizzle of olive oil. Other fun toppings are shredded cheese, celery and tempeh bacon. I also love to pair this soup with a burrito bowl salad!
|Loaded Baked Potato Soup|| |
- 1 large potato, peeled and chopped into ½-inch cubes
- 2 tbsp onion, diced
- 1 cup of vegetable broth
- ½ cup milk of choice
- ¼ cup cheese of choice
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tbsp butter of choice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Garlic powder, sea salt and pepper, to taste
- Optional toppings: light sour cream, Greek yogurt, cheddar cheese/vegan cheddar, celery, tempeh bacon
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tbsp olive oil over med-high heat. Add the chopped onion and cook until onion is translucent.
- Boil potatoes for 10 minutes until soft.
- Ina blender, combine potatoes, veggie broth, milk, water, salt, onion, garlic powder.
- Pour mix into a pot and add cheese and coconut butter.
- Stir until cheese and butter are melted.
- Garnish each bowl of soup with toppings of choice.