Ever since my trip to London this summer, I’ve been on an heirloom tomato kick. London has an abundance of great restaurants, all which seemed to offer heirloom mozzarella salads and heirloom toasts. All I could think of upon arriving home was buying a big bag of tomatoes and whipping up my own.
First on the list was this heirloom tomato and avocado toast. It’s so simple, yet so healthy and yummy too. And look at these colors! I have a weakness for pretty, colorful food. Hence the reason I didn’t drizzle the balsamic until after the photos were taken. I couldn’t taint this little rainbow work of art just yet.
|Heirloom Tomato and Avocado Toast|| |
- 1 slice sprouted grain bread
- ½ avocado
- 2 large heirloom tomato slices (or 7-10 mini tomato slices)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- ½ tsp balsamic vinegar
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- Toast bread until golden brown.
- Place the avocado slices on the toast and use the back of a fork to mash it.
- Layer tomato slices on top of the mashed avocado on each slice of toast.
- Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and olive oil.
- Season with sea salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately.