I love me a good cocktail. And while I realize that adult beverages aren’t the healthiest thing in the world, I do think we can approach our cocktail fun from a healthier perspective. Maintaining a clean diet doesn’t mean you have to give up the foods and drinks you love entirely, it just means finding a more nutritious substitute for unhealthy ingredients.
For cocktails, the best way to do this is by avoiding sugary mixers and sticking with low-sugar, low-calorie options. Red wine is a great option, as it contains antioxidants and minimal fructose sugar. Liquor such as vodka also contains minimal sugar, so I generally either mix vodka with soda water since it’s calorie-free, or I mix it in a blender with frozen fruit and ice, like in my Watermelon Vodka Slush recipe.
Which brings me to this tasty little frozen mango bellini recipe.
I first discovered frozen bellinis at a restaurant many years ago, where they served the most delicious peach bellinis. I decided to whip up a similar batch with my favorite fruit, mango, and… YUM.
I’ll admit, champagne and sparkling wine does contain more sugar than red wine, so let’s replace that extra champagne with a little vitamin/antioxidant boost from some fresh mangos, shall we?
|Frozen Mango Bellini|| |
- 1 mango
- 1 cup Champagne or sparkling wine
- 8 ice cubes
- Slice mango into chunks, discarding the pit and skin.
- In a blender, combine mango chunks with ice cubes and a splash of champagne (not so much that the froth overflows, just enough to blend the mango and ice together smoothly.)
- Once blended, pour the mixture into a tall glass and stir in the rest of the champagne.
- Serve with a straw and garnish with a mango slice.