I love me a good bowl of chili. And this spicy black bean chili recipe is not only tasty and easy, but it’s also pretty healthy and perfect for those on a vegan or vegetarian diet!
Black beans are a great addition to your diet because they’re high in protein, which is especially helpful for vegans and vegetarians. (For those of you who hate the question, “Where do you get your protein?” there’s your answer!) They’re also packed with fiber, nutrients and antioxidants.
I like to make my chili from scratch with organic tomatoes instead of canned diced tomatoes. But if you need to save time, you’re welcome to use canned tomatoes.
For those on a non-vegan diet, another healthy substitute in this recipe is swapping sour cream for plain, nonfat Greek yogurt. The same creamy texture, but plus the protein and minus the fat! I constantly rave about Greek yogurt because it’s such a great source of protein with very minimal sugar. For those on a vegan diet, Tofutti makes a great dairy-free sour cream also.
|Black Bean Chili|| |
- 10 tomatoes, diced (or 2 cans diced tomatoes)
- 1 can black beans
- ½ cup corn
- ¼ cup green bell pepper, diced
- 2 tbsp jalapeño, diced
- 2 tbsp white onion, diced
- Chili powder, sea salt, pepper and garlic powder, to taste
- Optional toppings: avocado slices, shredded cheddar cheese or non-dairy cheddar, Tofutti dairy-free sour cream or Greek yogurt
- If using fresh tomatoes, heat ½ cup water in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add tomatoes, cover pot, and steam for 3-5 minutes until skin has split and a ring has formed around the top of the tomatoes.
- Peel skin, remove seeds and discard.
- Dice tomatoes into chunks.
- Add diced tomatoes, beans, onion, corn, jalapeño and bell pepper to pot.
- Sprinkle with seasonings.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. (Before you simmer the chili, there will be more liquid, giving it a soupy texture. After it has simmered, some of the liquid will evaporate.)
- Transfer to serving bowl and garnish with toppings of choice.