I follow a lot of food blogger Instagram accounts, and I find myself gravitating towards the pages that contain the most photos of smoothie bowls. It’s not that smoothie bowls are difficult to make, I just love the pictures. It’s like making your breakfast a beautiful work of art. And it inspires me to eat more fruit! And healthy breakfast meals! If a meal looks gorgeous, I’m eating it.
I came up with this chocolate covered cherry smoothie bowl because… well… I love chocolate covered cherries. I eat a lot of other berries on a consistent basis, but I always tend to overlook the cherries. But the sweet flavor of the frozen banana combined with the tartness of the cherry is pure perfection.
I also make my own cacao sauce topping with cacao powder, maple syrup and coconut oil. And I top the smoothie bowl with some cacao nibs, because you can never get enough healthy superfood goodness!
Cheers to a light healthy breakfast that taste just like dessert!
|Chocolate Covered Cherry Smoothie Bowl|| |
- ½ cup coconut or almond milk
- 1 large frozen banana
- 20 cherries, pits removed (15 for blending, 5 for topping)
- 1 tbsp cacao nibs
- 1 tbsp shredded coconut
- 1 tbsp cacao sauce (1 tsp cacao powder, 1 tsp melted coconut oil, 1 tsp pure maple syrup)
- 4-5 ice cubes
- Additional fruit topping of choice
- Combine milk, frozen banana, ice, and 15 cherries (pits removed) in a blender or food processor until smooth.
- Transfer to a serving bowl.
- In a separate bowl, add cacao powder, melted coconut oil and pure maple syrup, stirring until combined.
- Top frozen cherry mix with cacao sauce, shredded coconut, cacao nibs, 5 cherries and additional fruit of choice.