For months, I’ve been trying to perfect a coconut curry recipe, but I always felt like something was missing. Tofu is a great meat substitute, but for this recipe, I was looking for something else.
Then one night, it hit me. Chickpeas! Chickpea curry! That’s what I was looking for!
For this chickpea curry, I added sliced pineapples, as I love pineapples in my curry. If you’ve never tried it, give it a whirl. You may find yourself a new favorite ingredient!
Generally, I use quinoa instead of rice because it contains more protein and fiber, but I find that rice has a richer texture that goes perfectly with creamy curry sauce.
With the added fiber and protein from chickpeas, this chickpea curry is a perfect vegan, gluten-free, healthy dinner!
|Chickpea Curry with Rice|| |
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- ¾ cup light coconut milk
- 1 cup chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup tomato, diced
- ¼ cup white onion, diced
- ½ cup pineapple, chopped
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp coconut palm sugar
- ½ tsp olive oil, for grilling
- Sea salt, garlic powder and ground ginger, to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onions and cook for 1-2 minutes until onions start to brown.
- Add coconut milk, curry powder and coconut sugar.
- Stir until curry powder and sugar are dissolved.
- Stir in chickpeas, soy sauce, tomato, and pineapple.
- Season with sea salt, ground ginger and garlic powder.
- Stir over medium heat for 3-5 minutes.
- Serve over rice.