Butternut squash ravioli is one of those entrees I always order when I see it on a restaurant’s menu. Or pumpkin ravioli. And I’m not even a big pasta eater. It’s just so tasty.
For those of you who don’t have a pasta maker (like me), the easiest way to make homemade ravioli is to use wonton wrappers. They sell these in most grocery stores in the dairy-free/vegan section. You can also use round wraps (on the right), but they’re not dairy-free.
The maple cream sauce is made with coconut milk and 100% vegan, so those on a vegan diet will want to use wonton wrappers. The amount of flour you add to the sauce will vary depending on the type of flour, so I suggest stirring in small amounts at a time until the desired sauce consistency is reached.
Just be careful when transferring the cooked wonton raviolis to a plate because the bottoms of the wontons tend to break easily.
Also, I use bags of pre-sliced butternut squash because it’s much easier than roasting an entire squash.
|Butternut Squash Ravioli with Maple Cream Sauce (Vegan Version)|| |
- 16 wonton wrappers
- 2 cups butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 tbsp plus 1 tsp pure maple syrup
- ¼ cup plus 1-2 tbsp flour
- Allspice, cinnamon, and sea salt, to taste
- Fill a pot with about 1 inch of water, add squash, and cover.
- Steam over medium heat for 10-15 minutes until squash is soft.
- Once squash is soft, strain, then add to a bowl and mash with a fork. Add 1 tsp maple syrup, cinnamon and sea salt and stir until combined.
- Scoop 2 tablespoons of the squash filing onto the middle of a wonton wrapper, leaving about an inch on each side of the filling.
- Brush the edges of the pasta with water and then cover with another wrapper and press the edges firmly so they're sealed.
- Repeat until all filling is used up (should make 8 raviolis.)
- Drop the raviolis in boiling salt water, two at a time, for 3-4 minutes each. Raviolis will rise to the top when cooked.
- Last, prepare the sauce. Over low heat, combine 1 cup coconut milk, 2 tbsp maple syrup, ¼ cup flour, cinnamon, allspice, and sea salt in a medium sauce pot. Continue to stir in 1-2 additional tbsp of flour until the sauce has a creamy consistency.
- Top raviolis with cream sauce. Season with additional spices as desired.