I came up with this butternut squash and goat cheese pizza recipe completely by accident. I always keep tortillas, onions and goat cheese in my house, but for some reason, I had purchased a bag of sliced butternut squash earlier that day on a whim, not sure what I was going to do with it.
After fiddling around in my kitchen for a bit, this beautiful little creature was born.
As always, Trader Joe’s brown rice tortillas are my favorite for flatbreads, but feel free to use any tortilla of your choice.
This recipe is also great with caramelized onions, but if you only have regular onions, those work too.
And for those of you looking for a healthy, butter-free white sauce for pizza or pasta, look no further.
|Butternut Squash and Goat Cheese Pizza|| |
- For white sauce: 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup coconut milk
- Garlic powder and sea salt for seasoning
- For pizza: 1 tortilla
- 1 cup butternut squash, sliced into cubes
- ½ cup crumbled goat cheese
- 2 tbsp white onion, diced
- Handful of spinach leaves
- Olive oil, sea salt and cinnamon for seasoning
- Place the butternut squash on a baking pan lined with olive oil. Season with sea salt and cinnamon and roast in the oven at 350 for 20 minutes.
- While the squash is roasting, prepare the white sauce. Heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic powder, sea salt and coconut milk. Simmer for 3-5 minutes, then set aside.
- Once the squash is roasted, remove from oven. Lightly brush the tortilla with olive oil, then layer with onions, spinach, squash, and top with goat cheese. Season with sea salt and bake at 375 for 10-15 minutes until tortilla is golden brown.
- Cut into slices and serve immediately.