This was not only the first time I’ve ever tasted baked cauliflower tacos, but also the first time I tried Vegenaise! (For those who don’t know, Vegenaise is a dairy-free mayonnaise, and it is so delicious!) The tacos are topped with a tartar sauce made with Vegenaise, diced dill pickle, and a dash of sea salt.
I just so happened to have a big bag of corn flour (Masa Harina) in my kitchen from when I made corn tamale cakes, so I mixed the corn flour with breadcrumbs, shredded coconut, and spices for the breading mixture. But you’re also welcome to use cornmeal if that’s easier to find.
I thought my crispy tofu tacos couldn’t be beat, but these cauliflower tacos are just as good!
|Baked Cauliflower Tacos|| |
- For Baked Cauliflower Tacos:
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 2 tortillas
- ½ cup coconut milk
- ¼ cup breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup corn flour or cornmeal
- ¼ cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup cabbage slaw mix, for topping
- Dash of sea salt, pepper, garlic powder and turmeric, to taste
- For Tartar Sauce:
- ¼ cup Vegenaise
- 2 tbsp diced dill pickle
- Dash of sea salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Slice cauliflower florets into chunks and discard stems.
- In a large bowl, add breadcrumbs, corn flour, shredded coconut, garlic powder, turmeric, sea salt and the pepper and stir until combined.
- Pour coconut milk into a separate bowl.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Dip each cauliflower floret in the coconut milk and turn over so both sides are wet, then dip into the breadcrumb mix and turn over so each floret is fully coated.
- Transfer each breaded piece of cauliflower to the lined baking sheet.
- Bake the cauliflower for 25-30 minutes, flipping over after 15 minutes, until both sides are brown and crisp.
- While the cauliflower is baking, prepare the sauce. In a small bowl, stir together the Vegenaise, diced pickle and sea salt. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- When cauliflower is ready, remove from oven, then place the tortillas in the oven for 3-4 minutes until warmed.
- Remove tortillas from oven and transfer to a serving plate.
- Top tortillas with cauliflower, cabbage slaw and a scoop of tartar sauce.