This was not only the first time I’ve ever tasted baked cauliflower tacos, but also the first time I tried Vegenaise. (For those who don’t know, Vegenaise is a dairy-free mayonnaise, and it’s delicious!) The tacos are topped with a tartar sauce made with Vegenaise, diced dill pickle, and a dash of sea salt.
I just so happened to have a big bag of corn flour (Masa Harina) in my kitchen from when I made corn tamale cakes, so I mixed the corn flour with breadcrumbs and spices for the breading mixture. But you’re also welcome to use cornmeal if that’s easier to find.
I thought my crispy tofu tacos couldn’t be beat, but these cauliflower tacos are just as good!
|Baked Cauliflower Tacos|| |
- For tacos:
- 3 cups cauliflower florets
- 2 whole wheat tortillas or gluten-free tortillas
- ¼ cup light coconut milk
- 2 tbsp plain breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp corn flour or cornmeal
- 2 tbsp shredded coconut
- 1 cup cabbage slaw mix, for topping
- Sea salt, pepper, garlic powder and turmeric, to taste
- For tartar sauce:
- ¼ cup plain, nonfat Greek yogurt or Vegenaise
- 2 tbsp diced dill pickle
- Dash of sea salt
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Slice cauliflower florets into 2-inch chunks.
- In a large bowl, add breadcrumbs, corn flour and spices and stir until combined.
- Pour coconut milk into a separate bowl.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Dip each floret in the coconut milk and turn over so both sides are wet, then dip into the breadcrumb mix and turn over so each floret is coated.
- Transfer each breaded piece of cauliflower to the lined baking sheet.
- Bake the cauliflower for 30 minutes, flipping over after 15 minutes, until both sides are brown.
- Remove from oven, pour shredded coconut over cauliflower, then bake for another 3-4 minutes.
- Next, prepare the sauce. In a small bowl, stir together the yogurt or Vegenaise, diced pickle and sea salt. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- When cauliflower is ready, remove from oven, then place tortillas in the oven for 3 minutes until warm.
- Remove tortillas from oven and transfer to a plate.
- Top tortillas with cauliflower, cabbage slaw and a scoop of tartar sauce.