Despite my amount of research on metabolism boosting foods and weight loss, the most helpful discoveries have been found in paying attention to the way my body reacts to certain foods.
Some important foods, such as grapefruit, are included in this list, as well as other foods and drinks that, based on my own personal experiences, have had an extreme effect on my metabolism.
1.Green Tea: Green Tea contains Epigallo Catechin Gallate (EGCG) which is the main ingredient that helps increase your metabolism. I like to add lemon juice to mine for an extra metabolism boost.
2. Greek Yogurt: Greek yogurt has an extremely high amount of protein combined with an extremely low amount of sugar. Just be sure to buy the regular flavored yogurt, as the fruit flavored are high in sugar/carbs and lower in protein (I recommend adding real fruit for taste). My personal favorite brands are Fage or Chobani. And because the yogurt contains a high level of protein, it requires a lot of energy to process, thus boosting your metabolism. They also include pro-biotic cultures that help regulate your digestive system.
3. Power Crunch Bars: I am the protein bar queen. Literally. I’m that annoying person who stands in the health food aisle for 20 minutes, reading the labels on each protein bar until I find the one that contains the least amount of sugar combined with the highest amount of protein, and still tastes good. Based on my findings, (and with the consensus of my fellow nutritionist friends), Power Crunch wins. The chocolate peanut butter fudge is my personal favorite. They taste like those wafer cookies you had as a kid, and they only have 5 grams of fat! They have a healthy balance of protein (13g), carbs (10g) and fat (12g) to boost your metabolism, and curb those chocolate cravings!
4. Kale: Kale is extremely high in fiber, which helps suppress your appetite. It also keeps your insulin levels stable, which helps your body prevent fat storage. Personally, since de-stemming and boiling kale can be time consuming, I like to make kale juice for a quick, easy healthy snack. (You can find my green smoothie recipe here: Super Green Smoothie). I primarily use spinach leaves, but you’re welcome to throw in some kale as well for a fiber boost.
5. Sushi: Have you ever noticed how you can eat a million sushi rolls and still not feel terribly full afterward? This is one food that I can honestly say boosts your metabolism based solely on my experiences. That little belly pouch you wake up with the morning after eating not-so-healthy foods? That’s never happened to me with sushi. I can eat massive quantities and still wake up feeling great. This is most likely because most sushi rolls contain healthy veggies such as cucumbers and avocados, and the fish is packed with omega-3 fatty acids which lower your leptin hormones and increase your metabolism.
6. Jalapenos: Jalapenos contain capsaicin, which is a chemical that stimulates your body to release stress hormones, which also boosts your metabolism and causes you to burn additional calories. Personally, I like to put them in my omelets with tomatoes and avocados.
7. Apple Cider Vinegar: I don’t care how many articles say there is no medical proof that apple cider vinegar boosts your metabolism. I am here to say: IT DOES! I’d heard of AC Vinegar from a few friends who all swore by it, and after trying it out, I could already feel a weight loss difference after only two days. The trick is to buy the organic, unfiltered vinegar (I purchase mine at Trader Joe’s), mix a teaspoon with water and sip on it throughout the day. There is a fiber ingredient in AC vinegar called pectin that helps sustain your appetite, and it also has a high amount of potassium which helps flush sodium out of the body to reduce water weight.
8. Steel Cut Oats: Steel Cut Oats contain fat-soluble fiber that takes a long time to break down, thus lowering your body’s insulin level and speeding your metabolism. I add some fruit to mine for flavor.
9. Almond Butter: Almond Butter is a low glycemic food, so it stabilizes your blood sugar levels, which is great for your metabolism because when your blood sugar spikes, your metabolism slows.
10. Grapefruit: Grapefruit is probably the most commonly known food to booth metabolism. The grapefruit’s chemical properties are full of citrus and vitamin C which reduce insulin levels, thus resulting in boosted metabolism and weight loss.